Safety is a top consideration for everybody from first-year occupants to long-term Residents. Your apartment is your sanctuary, a place where you have the ability to feel protected and at ease. Keeping that feeling of security is crucial to the health and happiness of your family and even your four-legged companions. Developing good safety practices and making a few changes to your home may keep you away from dangerous situations. Just use these easy suggestions for securing your apartment in Fishers.
Always Make Safety A Priority
Your community already has some security devices set up to help keep tenants away from harm, but you must utilize them appropriately! Be sure to close all entryways after using them, specifically if it is only used with a card, key, or passcode from a tenant, like an exercise room or swimming pool. If your complex features a buzzer system or passcodes to gain entry, only use them for your own company. Allowing in someone you don’t know could create a dangerous situation for everyone at the property!
Speaking of your fellow Residents, they are important in securing your apartment in Fishers. Become familiar with your neighbors and figure out where they live. Knowing this helps you identify if any questionable characters are loitering about. Your neighbors may also be the ones who make a report should an incident occur. In the end, safety is a team effort!
Devices to Secure Your Apartment in Fishers
Security tools are vital to proper security. Learn about some well-known and effective devices and how to use them:
- Locks and bolts: Your doors and windows are equipped with locks - utilize them! Intruders try to find the path of least resistance. Remembering to lock your various access points at night and prior to leaving is frequently enough to dissuade the opportunistic burglar.
- Slide bar: A sliding door that opens to a back porch is often a big target. Putting a security bar along the track to prevent it from moving makes it almost impossible to circumvent.
- Security cameras: Your building may have video surveillance in place to protect Residents, but incorporating your own is a good idea. Situate them near access points like a back door or above a main walkway in the unit to keep a watchful eye.
- Smart lighting: A straightforward trick for securing your apartment in Fishers is to integrate lighting that will make prospective criminals believe you’re home. Smart lights that can be set to turn on at certain times or controlled via a mobile device app will give the impression that occupants are there.
- Window treatments: As elemental as it may seem, minimizing sightlines into your apartment keeps expensive belongings out of sight and keeps prowlers guessing if you’re present or not.
Having The Lock Rekeyed Is A Wise Move
Before you move in, it’s smart to ask if the door has been rekeyed. Making sure you have updated locks is a great idea to make sure the prior tenant can’t get into your new apartment. If it hasn’t been updated, this is something that the property team should address for you.
Renters Insurance Is a Must
Even if you implement all of these suggestions on how to secure your apartment in Fishers, renters insurance is still a must. Your policy will back you up and aid you in replacing your lost possessions should something take place. Put your mind at ease with a tenant insurance policy.
Would You Like To Find Your New Place In Fishers?
Now that you have more guidance on how to secure your apartment in Fishers, it’s time to find your new home at The District at Saxony Apartment Homes. We feature sizeable units, attentive staff, and the sought-after amenities you are looking for. Call or schedule a tour to get started.